How Long Before Eggs Spoil?
The average only lasts about 3 weeks before it goes bad. This is due to the and the being two different types of , which causes bacteria to grow. Refrigeration slows this process, but does not stop it. Therefore if you want to keep your eggs longer you have to consider other storage options. Of which there are many. The method we’ll be discussing today is Isinglass.
What Is Isinglass
Isinglass is a gelatinous substance derived from the swim bladders of certain . It has been used for centuries as a method for , and will allow them to last up to a year unrefrigerated. The eggs are placed in a solution of isinglass and , and then sealed in an airtight container. The isinglass acts as a preservative allowing for a shelf stable . It’s worth noting that Isinglass and are two different methods. is another great technique, but not the one we’re covering here. Keep an eye out as I’ll do a video and article on it too in the near future.
Kind Of Eggs Needed For Isinglass Preservation
In order to preserve eggs in isinglass, you will need to use fresh eggs. Do not use store bought eggs for this as the processes they go through are not conducive to this method of preserving. The eggs must also be free of cracks or shell damage (as any egg you eat should). Do not refrigerate or wash the eggs prior to preserving them. The eggs are laid with a protective coating that you want to leave intact as it assist in the preservation process.
What You Need To Preserve Your Eggs With The Isinglass Method
You Don’t really need much in the way of supplies.
-Sealable Jar w/ Lid
-Tongs | Make it easier to place the eggs in the jar
The Process For Preserving Eggs With Isinglass
The process is relatively straight forward. You can watch the video below where I walk you through it, but here are the steps to preserve your eggs.
1. Fill your pan with enough to fill the jar you will be using for storing your eggs.
2. Heat the us and begin to dissolve the Isinglass into the .
3. In the meantime place your eggs (ideally pointed side down) into the jar
4. Once the Isinglass is dissolved allow the to cool some. The idea here is that you don’t want the to begin to cook the eggs, so you need to let it cool down to just above room temperature. That said when it cools enough it will begin to set to an almost like consistency. So you need to find that sweet spot of temperature. It’s not as hard as it sounds as long as you keep a close eye and transfer it before it sets.
5. When cooled enough add the Isinglass mix to the jar of eggs. Ensure all eggs are completely covered.
6. Allow to cool down and set to like consistency.
7. Put the lid on and store the eggs in a cool dry location like your pantry.
That’s It. Pretty simple right!
How Do Isinglass Eggs Taste?
Many claim that using this method of storage gives the eggs a bit of a chalky taste. As such this is not the ideal way to store them if you wish to eat the eggs outright, however they are perfect in recipes and do not affect the taste there.
So How Long Do The Isinglass Eggs Last
Using this method your eggs should store for 6 months to a year
Enjoy This Article? Check Out MWPU
MWPUniversity.com is our online learning portal that is packed with tons of resources revolving around Prepping, Tactics, Survival, and Fitness.
It features exclusive Videos, Articles, Ebook Library, Courses, and Virtual Classroom.
Sign Up For MWP Newsletter Below...You'll Thank Us!
Protein is without a doubt one of the most discussed nutrients we get from food on a daily basis.
There have been many debates and myths surrounding this nutrient, so in this article, our goal will be to tell you more about everything you NEED to know regarding protein.
Introduction to Evacuation Planning Considerations Emergencies can happen any time, and it is important you are prepared. You could be well-prepared for a situation, however
Every dog owner should be prepared for any unforeseen event that may cause them and their dog to leave home quickly. Though situations like this are rare, we still have to prepare in case they happen. You want to be able to grab their bag out bag and start moving immediately.
Don’t get caught by an economic collapse. In this article we discuss some basic steps you can take now to help prepare you for the hard times to come.